Thursday 20 March 2008

Seriously Weird Grammar!!!

Here's some interesting bits of weird grammar I've heard.

1) ESTABLISYMEN
Believe it or not, I saw dis super weird word on d operating license of a PJ restaurant! Turns out dat PJ's Majlis Perbandaran has a huge vocabulary....

2) Quote from Paula Abdul: "I kno itz hard 2 concentrate when singing on stage cos u hv MONITORS in yr ears..."

Wat da heck do MONITORS hv 2 do wif our ears? Do d American Idol contestants hv ears capable of reading lyrics? D more appropriate words should hav been earpiece/headphone/earphone....even microphone wud be acceptable though itz wrong....but MONITORS??? Why da heck's she still a judge??? -_-

3) Courtesy of my sis hu heard dis @ a BBQ party: "Can some one tell me how 2 LAMINATE the chicken?"

Excuse me.....my dear girl (whoever it was my sis laughed @).....itz MARINATE!!! Go 2 a stationery/binding/photostat/document shop if u wanna LAMINATE it....n tell me if u find one a shop owner who is actually willing 2 LAMINATE it....I'll promote it on my blog....

Well...datz all I cn tink of 4 now....pls tell me if thr's anymore u 1 me 2 add....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How ironic that you would attack others in such a way when your spelling and grammar leave something to be desired. The issue you address is malapropism, not grammar.

icywhinygnome on 24 October 2008 at 00:11 said...

I extend my deepest apologies to you, "anonymous". It seems that bloggers nowadays use full, complete sentences with articulate attention to ensure that precisely each and every word is spelt to the fullest extent of perfection. Otherwise, we are labeled as "your spelling and grammar leaves something to be desired"...ouch.

Haiz...wat am I crapping? My readers actually tell me dey like my informal, realistic language (in a "daily talk" kinda sense). I'm not a formal fake ass blogger cz dis style doesn't suit my blog.

Malapropism -> Intentionally substituting a word wif a wrong one, usually 4 comic effect.

zZz....I believe u r not a M'sian. We have Bahasa Melayu here. D 1st case points out d weird "English invasion" our language is experiencing.

Honestly, I can't even c how using d word "monitor" can have a "comic effect"....unless u consider Paula stumbling on tv, which is pretty fun ^_^

Laminate d chicken? Lol....mayb u r right after all. Dat girl did intend to get ppl laughing @ her, not @ her joke...lol :p

Again, so sorry for offending your feelings regarding the perfection of English. Kindly look for another blog if you can't bear the sight of my horrendous English. Have a nice day ^_^

 

~ Agendum Arcanum ~ Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template