Sunday 14 September 2008

Stereotyping

Well....I was studying 4 my PS finals & I thought of this: Why am I categorized as a study freak? Why are students typically classified into two: academic & non-academic? Yea...yea....I kno dat most of u will tink of d categories "geek", "nerd", "jock" & so on but then again, these categories fall into the two main ones i mentioned earlier, rite?

So...here I am, typing something I feel like typing though I shud b studyin. 1st, let's have a look @ d problem. People always assume that students who score well in exams carry books everywhere, everytime. I disagree!!!! Hey, wait, I agree partially! I do CARRY books, jz dat I dun OPEN them. Kena lerr pakai benda berat nak hentam snatch thieves. For example (a bit perasan), look @ me. Yeah, Mr. totally-immature-kid-in-university who scored 3.85 GPA suddenly last sem. Most of d new frenz I made in d 2nd sem said dat dey thought I was a book-hugging geek. Dat's til they got 2 kno me.

I study only when necessary.
I define necessary as last minute.
I define last minute as 1 or 2 weeks b4 d finals.
Hu says I hug books 24 hours a day, 365 1/4 days a year?

Please la, stop d crappy comments. Stop labelling me as a book-geek. Is scoring a teensy-bit well in exams a crime? Remember,

Good Results != Good Studying Habits

Next, let's look @ d other category of students. They excel in sports, gaming, socializing (though I love doing dis too) etc. When exams arrive, others assume they dun give a damn bout their results. WTF la....do u tink dey r not humans too ah? Jz bcoz dey dun get pretty results, ppl label them as non-academic-ians. If dey dun pass, dat doesn't mean dat dey didn't work for it. If u c dem laughing & relaxing in class, dat doesn't mean dey dun do anytin else @ home. It is jz a matter of us automatically placing "labels" on these unfortunate souls.

So, what's d problem? Here's wat I've faced: silent stares, invisible walls, burning jealousy. Yes, I am jealous of the "other category". They can actually do well in fun stuff like sports, being free in d outdoors while I'm stuck in front of books, getting fatter due to lack of physical activity.

See, many people think that:

"Non-academics will surely be jealous of those who score well. They can get better jobs, more money, etc."

Here's what I tink.

I can carry books, but you can let the outdoors carry you.
I can excel in exams, but you can don't even need to give a damn bout such things in sports/games/socializing.
I get academic scholarships for revising for exams, but you get sports scholarships for talents which you have always been born with.

So, who has the better deal? This is analogue to the boy vs. girl case. Each side condemns & envies the other side but in reality, both sides are equal. D only problem is whether they can open their eyes.

I feel the invisible barrier between us. Everytime I pass by a "non-academic" person, somehow, I can feel it. (could be my overactive imagination). Sometimes, I think: Do they hate us because of the way the society has placed so much emphasis on education? Or do they envy me the way I envy them?

I am always the target of many lasers. Many guys call me a "lembik" guy jz coz of my results. Wat can I do? It's not like I asked my mum to give birth to a banana unable of carrying out "heavy guy stuff" like vigorous physical activity! Besides that, people keep debating whether Malaysia is too exam oriented.What do expect me to do? Jz bcoz d damned education system happens to tilt in my favour, I immediately become your enemy la. I am d bad guy. I am d bastard who doesn't deserve the recognition I received. But then again, did I choose this?

Dat day, I idiotically told a fren of mine

"I'm lazy 2 study hard 4 good results cz I kno I am capable of achieving them. So, why bother torturing myself?"

How I regret those words. Now that I reflect on myself, I think I really hurt him dat day. I dun even kno hw 2 face him w/out feelin guilty. He worked so hard 2 get good results while I sat there crapping bout how good I am jz coz I happened 2 b gifted academically. I am such a bastard. Therefore, I've decided to change my lifelong philosophy.

"If I can do it & score well wif a little effort, why not do it? While I'm @ it, why not help others too?"

After all....I'd rather work abit harder & help more ppl score well rather than goyang kaki like a bastard & watch them suffer. I shud stop d fucking kiasu attitude la. So shud other ppl hu r gifted academically. Jz bcoz dey r good @ sports & u r good in yr studies, dat doesn't mean you shouldn't help them in their studies. One day....maybe one day.....they'll help me to learn some sports like basketball. Sometimes I even wish dat I was good in sports instead of studies. If only....

0 comments:

 

~ Agendum Arcanum ~ Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template