Monday 30 August 2010

Happy Merdeka Day!

Happy Merdeka Day guys!

As much as I wish to fill this post with inspirational material, quotations and such, I believe some things have to be said.


I fear for our future. I fear for our unity. I fear for our country.


If only we could turn all our politicians into nice, sweet, clean people with a wish. Heck, I'll do it even if it were to take several wishes. Almost any issue can be politicised nowadays. With a little media coverage, hot comments, and finger pointing, a big ruckus can be created. Throw in people who say what they want to say whenever they want to say it and voila! Major verbal (take note, usually VERBAL only ) chaos will erupt.

Since my school days, I've been observing these happenings and yet, I still remain unfazed as I once was while munching on my keropok (no flies hidden inside, unlike the Hakimah's poor fate once), carefree during recess in school. After all, these things tend to adhere to the time-tested Malaysia cycle. (forgive my cacat-ed attempt at sketching)


After awhile, the major issue will boil down. And Malaysians will move on to another local delicacy to pop in the kawah.

Btw, the 49/69 in the photo is the reserve at the beginning of the 10th year for a fully discrete 10-year deferred life annuity-due on (50), with premiums payable at the beginning of the year for the next 19 years. Oh, ya, as usual, premiums are based on the equivalence principle.

In case u're interested,
ä50:10 = 6.9
ä50 = 11.3
10Ex = 0.44
q59 = 0.012
i = 0.06.

Back to the topic. Seeing how issues regarding race constantly pop up in our media nowadays, I really hope that we will remain united, without any segregation in the future. After all, each and every one of us helped build the Malaysia that exists today. Questions and statements meant to jolt our minds into action are fine, but mere comments thrown in just to add to the confusion and for the sake of fame should be cast aside. Please. For the sake of our country, not your bloody media coverage.

How I cherish those days when our gang of teenagers sat in class, oblivious to the school's constant reminders about eating in class during recess. Everyone shared their food. Everyone respected each others' sensitivities: no pork, beef, or occasionally meat (when a certain Ugly Betty in class went vegetarian). (Does anyone miss my mum's delicious pizza buns?) We discussed current issues, without the backstabbing and finger pointing. Everyone had a chance to speak, without fear of isolation, gang-bashing, majority crap, or being put behind bars. We had our mini freedom of speech, we used it thoughtfully.

If only our politicians could do the same.

Well, Happy Merdeka Day everyone. I'm watching fireworks in KL now. What a view! All these colours mingling and uniting together to provide a beautiful sight for people from all backgrounds, regardless of their skin colour, their children's religion, or their forefathers' place of origin.

And THAT, is my beloved Malaysia.

0 comments:

 

~ Agendum Arcanum ~ Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template